Jeff's current research focuses on SOFCs fabricated by atmospheric plasma spraying and the degradation of metal-supported SOFCs. Atmospheric plasma spraying is a very attractive manufacturing process for producing solid oxide fuel cells because it allows layers to be built rapidly with controlled microstructures. Jeff has made significant contributions to the development of the cathode layer and its fabrication by plasma spraying
Jeff is also researching the degradation of metal-supported SOFCs. His work includes the degradation and protection of porous metal supports. He is also investigating electrode degradation in air, hydrogen, and methane atmospheres.
Additionally, Jeff has a strong interest in engineering education. Through though the practice of teaching, he has implemented alternative teaching methods, receiving positive feedback from students. With the engineering communication program, he has conducted research on the training and development of teaching assistants.
Refereed Journal Publications
- J. Harris, Y. Yan, R. Bateni, O. Kesler. Degradation of La0.6Sr0.4Co0.2Fe0.8O3-δ-Ce0.8Sm0.2O1.9 cathodes on coated and uncoated porous metal supports. Fuel Cells 2016. [Link]
- Y. Yan, R. Bateni, J. Harris, O. Kesler. Fabrication of reactive element oxide coatings on porous ferritic stainless steel for use in metal-supported solid oxide fuel cells. Surface and Coatings Technology 272 2015. pp. 415-427 [Link]
- M. Marr, J. Kuhn, C. Metcalfe, J. Harris, O. Kesler. Electrochemical performance of solid oxide fuel cells having electrolytes made by suspension and solution precursor plasma spraying. Journal of Power Sources 245 2014. pp. 398-405 [Link]
- C. Metcalfe, J. Harris, J. Kuhn, M. Marr, O. Kesler. Progress in metal-supported axial-injection plasma sprayed solid oxide fuel cells using Nanostructured NiO-Y0.15Zr0.85O1.925 dry powder anode feedstock. Journal of Thermal Spray Technology 22 (5) 2013. pp. 599-608 [Link]
- J. Harris, C. Metcalfe, M. Marr, J. Kuhn, O. Kesler. Fabrication and characterization of solid oxide fuel cell cathodes made from nano-structured LSCF-SDC composite feedstock. Journal of Power Sources 239 2013. pp. 234-243 [Link]
- J. Harris, M. Qureshi, O. Kesler. Deposition of composite LSCF-SDC and SSC-SDC cathodes by axial-injection plasma spraying. Journal of Thermal Spray Technology 21 (3-4) 2012. pp. 461-468 [Link]
- J. Harris, O. Kesler. Atmospheric plasma spraying (APS) low-temperature cathode materials for solid oxide fuel cells (SOFCs). Journal of Thermal Spray Technology 19 (1-2) 2010. pp. 328-335 [Link]
- N. Dawe, J. Harris, M. Stevenson, D. Tihanyi. Engineers teaching communication: evaluating the impact of TA training on graduate student communication, teaching and professional development. Proceedings of the Canadian Engineering Education Association (CEEA) Conference 2016
- J. Harris, C. Park. A case study on blended learning in engineering education. Proceedings of the Canadian Engineering Education Association (CEEA) Conference 2016.
- J. Harris, W. Heikoop, A. Van Beek, J.S. Wallace. Teaching an advanced engineering MOOC: lessons learned Proceedings of the Canadian Engineering Education Association (CEEA) Conference 2015 [Link]
- J. Harris, J. Kuhn, O. Kesler. Atmospheric plasma-sprayed metal-supported solid oxide fuel cells with varying cathode microstructures. ECS Transactions 68 (1) 2015. pp. 1779-1790
- O. Kesler, M. Cuglietta, J. Harris, J. Kuhn, M. Marr, C. Metcalfe. Progress in metal-supported SOFCs using hydrogen and methane fuels. Proceedings of the 13th international symposium on solid oxide fuel cells. ECS Transations 57 (1) 2013. pp. 491-501
- J. Harris, O. Kesler. Performance of Metal-Supported Composite and Single-Phase Cathodes Based on LSCF and SSC. Proceedings of the 12th international symposium on solid oxide fuel cells. ECS Transations 35 (3) 2011. pp. 1927-1934
- J. Harris, O. Kesler. Fabrication of composite LSCF-SDC cathode coatings by plasma spray processing. Proceedings of the 11th international symposium on solid oxide fuel cells (SOFC-XI) ECS Transactions 25 (2) 2009. pp. 2455-2461
- J. Harris, O. Kesler. Atmospheric plasma spraying (APS) low-temperature cathode materials for solid oxide fuel cells (SOFCs). Proceedings of the international thermal spray conference. Thermal Spray 2009: Expanding Thermal Spray Performance to New Markets and Applications 2009. pp. 1-6
- J. Harris, O. Kesler. Atmospheric plasma spraying (APS) low-temperature cathode materials for solid oxide fuel cells (SOFCs). Presented at the AGM of the SOFC Canada NSERC Strategic Research Network. Calgary, Alberta. June 2009.
- Mechanical and Thermal Energy Conversion Processes (MIE303) 2013, 2015
- Design for Environment (MIE315) 2015
- Engineering Design & CAD (MIE341) 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- Thermal Energy Conversion (MIE411) 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
- Alternative Energy Systems (MIE515) 2010
- Fuel Cell Systems (MIE517) 2009
- Materials for Clean Energy (MIE1128) 2009
- Extra-curricular CAD workshop
Enrichment CoursesThese courses are offered for gifted high school students as part of DEEP Summer Academy in the Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering.
- Engines & Energy 2008, 2009, 2010
- Extreme Machines 2008, 2009, 2010
jharris AT mie DOT utoronto DOT ca